Monday, February 14, 2011

Amish Country

For those of you who live outside of the state, I just want to tell you, I really do live in PA Dutch Country!

The other day, my mother in law and I decided to run out on few errands. Now she does live 20 miles away from me. But, I had a hankering to run to the local Amish store near her. The older boys stayed back with their pappy, while my mil and I loaded the Si-guy into the van and headed out.

As I was waiting for my mil at our first stop, I watched as an Amish man came trotting in with his horse and buggy. Once he hooked his horse up at the post, he pulled out a blanket and nicely covered his horse, keeping him warm. I watched from afar, loving the simplicity of their life.


Pic courtesy of morguefile.com
Image URL:

On our way to our next stop, I commented on how you can literally feel a peace in the air as you drive through Amish country. A purple handmade quilt hung outside while buggies were parked in home driveways. We arrived at the Amish store, a place that is locally famous for getting bulk foods and cheese. The young woman who checked me out, was gentle in spirit and kept sneaking a peek at my youngest. Finally as we paid our bill, she pulled out a basket and offered him a lollipop.

Back into the car, we drove further on, stopping at a butcher shop for fresh cut meats. Standing in line, I watched as a butcher stepped through a door, I sneaked a peek at the cow hanging in the back. I've certainly grown up, as this didn't bother me in the least.


Pic courtesy of Morgeufile.com
Image URL:

On our way back, we pulled into the local hometown farmers market. I love this place. They are always cheerful and have the most delicious and fresh fruits and veggies. I completed my food shopping there, as I gathered apples, strawberries, cucumbers, and so much more. Their prices were amazing! The lady behind the counter chuckled at Simon as he threw a fit over the apples. With much laughter she told us the apple he wanted was on the house, please give it to him!

Such an interesting area to live around. 20 minutes from me and I'm in the suburban area where there is a Wegmans, Giant, Target, and plenty more to shop at. 20 miles from me, I can hop in the car and appreciate an Amish store, a butcher shop, and a local farmers market.

No comments:

Post a Comment